Fort William is a great base to do many day trips around the West Coast both long full day trips and shorter ones. This area is packed with so much to do, if you have the time we recommend a minimum of two full days to get a feel for the area.
Fort William is located on the West Coast of Scotland, 75 miles from Inverness Airport and 99 miles from Glasgow airport. The town is small, but hugely popular with so much to see and do, we have been ‘The Outdoor Capital of the UK’ since 2004.
Fort William is surrounded by mountains, no wonder we have the highest mountain in the United Kingdom, Ben Nevis reaching 1345 meters (4413 feet) above sea level, plus two of Scotland’s most popular walking trails, the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way start or finish here. The loch in front of Fort William is Loch Linnhe, a sea loch which stretches 25 miles from the Atlantic to Fort William and the Caledonian Canal links the town to Inverness on the North East Coast.
The town and local area holds various events throughout the year. A few regular ones being, The Scottish Six Day Motorbike Trials in late April/early May, in June Nevis Range holds the Down Hill Mountain Bike Championships and the first weekend in September is the Ben Nevis Mountain Race. Plus many Triathlons, Mountain Challenges, Endurance events throughout the summer.
Our top 5 days trips:
- Go and explore Glen Nevis either to climb ‘The Ben’ or to walk in Glen Nevis (Steal Falls Walk is our personal favourite).
- Head out along the windy single track roads to Ardnamurchan Peninsular (the most westerly point of British Mainland).
- Heading out to Mallaig either by the Jacobite Steam train (Hogwarts Express), the normal service train or by car on ‘The road to the Isles’ passing the Glenfinnan Viaduct then taking the old road between Arisaig and Morar and go to the beach known as the Silver Sands.
- Take two ferries across to Mull to see the multicolour houses of Tobermory which featured in the children’s TVs show ‘Balamory’.
- Take the Nevis Range Gondola and see the incredible views of Ben Nevis and the Lochaber area.
Due to the beauty of this area numerous movies have been filmed in the area, although sometimes it is hard to tell.
- Harry Potter – Glenfinnan Viaduct, Glen Coe, Glen Nevis, Loch Morar
- Local Hero – Morar
- The 39 Steps – Glen Coe
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail – Glen Coe, Rannoch Moor
- The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes – Eilean Donan Castle, Urquhart Castle
- James Bond, Skyfall – Glen Etive, Glen Coe
- James Bond, The World is Not Enough – Eilean Donan Castle
- Braveheart – Loch Leven, Glen Nevis, Glen Coe
- Rob Roy – Morar, Glen Nevis, Glen Coe, Rannoch Moor.
- Outlander – Glen Coe
Find your way here.
Our recently refurbished bedrooms are very comfortable and spacious. All have a seating area - and many enjoy …Read More
Eat & Drink
Delicious home cooked meals served in our restaurant and cozy lounge bar. Oh, and take a wee look at the views…Read More
The Clan MacDuff Hotel’s origins started in 1963 when the Fyfe family bought a small 2 acre croft and opened…Read More